And knowing that the knee is the most complex joint in our bodies, that must mean that a lot can go down hill if we get injured or cause inflammation to that joint, right? Right.
So what do you do?
The first thing you can do for yourself to ease your pain now and help your body heal is to slow down and rest.
For many of us it can be difficult to slow down, it’s much too easy to get sucked into the hustle and bustle of everyday life. But that’s why it is increasingly important to be aware of our bodies and what they need.
In order for us to do the things we enjoy, we of course have to be physically capable, and if we refuse to give our bodies a break, eventually they’ll do it for us.
Living a busy life is not the same as living a life which is full.
If you find yourself feeling some pain in your knee, backtrack your steps (i.e. what have I been doing today? Have I done anything out of the ordinary?)
Maybe you noticed a twinge when walking up a flight of stairs or perhaps you bent down and heard a ‘pop’ sound.
No matter what it was, you have a better chance of preventing it, if you know what caused it the first time.
Now, when looking for relief at home just remember the acronym “RICH”
Once you notice the pain, stop what you’re doing, sit down and rest- you can use heat to ease the pain or ice to ease swelling, and maybe look into a compressive knee sleeve to wear temporarily for stability.
Resting when you feel you have a thousand things to do can feel inconvenient and perhaps tempt you to just ‘power through’ but the longer you go without addressing the problem, the worse it becomes.
You can also make sure you’re consuming foods with plenty of anti-inflammatory properties- pineapple, ginger, turmeric and tomatoes are just a few whole foods that can help your body reduce pain and fight inflammation!
Additionally, check out our blog on some supplements that might be worth looking into also for anti-inflammatory purposes HERE
Lastly, if RICH just isn’t working for you or you’re just concerned you need a little more than a good ol’ fashioned rest day, come in and see one of our experts at MOSS and we’ll get you the care you deserve.
It starts with our simple 3 Step Process.
- Schedule a FREE Discovery Visit with one of our experts.
- Receive a Customized (Individualized) Treatment Plan
- Get Your Life Back and Do What You Love
It really is that simple!
The first step is the hardest and I can’t take it for you but I can make it as simple and easy as possible.
“A healthy man has thousands of wishes, a sick man has only one”. –Agnes Karll Schwest Krankenpfleger
You will work with one of our experts to design a customized plan specific to your needs and conditions.
I have talked about this for years. I call it The 3 D’s. You can learn more about it HERE. Follow The 3-D’s to handle your issue and you can’t go wrong.
- Don’t ignore the problem—A problem could be pain, weakness, frequent falls or trouble recovering from an injury or illness. It is a signal from the body that something is wrong. Hoping and wishing will not make it better. Try to ignore it and hope it goes away –almost never works and usually makes everything worse.
- Don’t mask it—getting injections, taking pills, wearing a brace or using a walker only masks the problem and doesn’t fix the underlying cause. I have several examples in my personal life where this did not work out. Trying to mask it and not truly addressing the underlying issue makes the problem cost more (time, money and stress) to fix in the long run.
- Do something about it-–If addressed properly most problems can heal conservatively, naturally without injections or surgical intervention. Doing something about it – addressing the issue head on, while it may be tough at first it will get a better result in the long run.
Pro tip: Get it looked at by the experts at MOSS Rehabilitation Center.
Follow The 3-D’s to handle your issue and you can’t go wrong.
Remember the KEY is to start so small that it is impossible to fail. -Kaizen
At MOSS Rehabilitation Center we make it easy for you to get started. We even have a simple 3 step process.
1. Schedule a FREE NO Obligation, Discovery Visit with one of our experts. During this visit, you will talk with one of our friendly experts about your issues. This is a safe and confidential visit, you can trust that your safety and privacy is important to us. We are taking extra measures to ensure that you remain safe during this pandemic.
2. Receive a Customized (Individualized) Treatment Plan. Based on your free discovery visit, we will put together a custom, unique to you plan that will address all of your nagging pains and issues. The goal is to get you back to your healthy self as soon as possible while also addressing your issues for the long term.
3. Get Your Life Back and Do What You Love. The best result for us is a patient who tells us they can finally do what they love without the constant pain, stress, or issue they were facing. Together we can get you back to living life without worry.
So what do the most successful people do when they have health concerns? They address their problem.
NEXT ACTION: If you are really serious about showing your body who’s in control, call our office at 817-220-6677 today to schedule your FREE NO OBLIGATION Discovery Visit.
To your health,
Dr. Robert Moss PT, ScD, OCS, FAAOMPT