Learn the 3 Ds of Handling Your Pain
Did you know that up to 70 percent of adults suffer with shoulder pain at some point in their life…so you are not alone
I personally have suffered with shoulder pain in the past and don’t need to tell you how aggravating and painful it can be.
When Judy and I bought our house 19 years ago we decided to plant some trees. We went to a local nursery (A&M in Azle) and bought several trees. In our excitement as new homeowners we didn’t consider the difficulty in digging holes and planting over a dozen trees.
As we started to dig we realized doing it with a shovel was going to be too much, so we rented a two man auger.
Well after running the auger over the weekend my right shoulder became so painful I couldn’t raise it over my head and for someone in their 20’s and in good shape this was very demoralizing.
So what did I do to ease the pain? I rested and iced it, I even took some ibuprofen but nothing seemed to help. I eventually got a cortisone shot which was amazing. My pain disappeared within 24 hours, but this is not the end of the story!
I didn’t take the time to see if there was an underlying cause!
Think about it, my left shoulder didn’t bother me and I did the same work with it running the auger.
I went back to the gym and started my workout routine. After a few days the pain was starting to creep back in my shoulder.
I immediately realized I made a major mistake…something I hear from patients weekly.
I assumed that since the pain was gone there was nothing wrong with my shoulder…I should have known better!!!
They say pain is a wonderful teacher.
In my case I had developed some muscle tightness and imbalances from lifting weights on my right side. It was this imbalance that led to my pain from running the auger.
So, what did I do about it?
I had one of my colleagues examine my shoulder. They found decreased movement (stiffness in certain directions) that affected my arm movement.
They also found some slight weakness in the rotator cuff muscles (these are very small muscles, 4 to be exact, that are important for proper shoulder movements).
I was surprised by this because in my 20’s I was pretty muscular and was able to lift some heavy weights but since I didn’t train my cuff muscles properly I had developed some imbalances that resulted in my new found shoulder pain.
So how can my painful experience help you?
Follow my 3-D method to handle your pain and you can’t go wrong.
- Don’t ignore the pain—pain is a signal from the body that something is wrong. Hoping and wishing will not make it better.
- Don’t mask it—getting injections and taking pills only mask the pain and doesn’t fix the underlying cause. In my example I had two issues, stiffness and weakness.
- Do something about it-–If addressed properly most shoulder pain can heal without injections or surgical intervention. Pro TIP: get it looked at by the experts at MOSS Rehabilitation Center.
Our Physical Therapists are experts in shoulder muscle and joint problems which lead to movement dysfunctions. They can help you make better decisions as to the next proper steps for your shoulder.
Usually some type of stretching and strengthening will be beneficial but remember doing the wrong exercises for your condition could actually make it work.
Finally the sooner you address your problem the better. We all know what happens when we let a little issue linger on for too long. It starts to get out of hand and then it seems almost impossible to fix.
At MOSS Rehabilitation Center we make it easy for you to get started. We even have a simple 3 step process.
1. Schedule a FREE NO Obligation, Discovery Visit with one of our experts. During this visit, you will talk with one of our friendly experts about your issues. This is a safe and confidential visit, you can trust that your safety and privacy is important to us. We are taking extra measures to ensure that you remain safe during this pandemic.
2. Receive a Customized (Individualized) Treatment Plan. Based on your free discovery visit, we will put together a custom, unique to you plan that will address all of your nagging pains and issues. The goal is to get you back to your healthy self as soon as possible while also addressing your issues for the long term.
3. Get Your Life Back and Do What You Love. The best result for us is a patient who tells us they can finally do what they love without the constant pain, stress, or issue they were facing. Together we can get you back to living life without worry.
Not only will we create a physical therapy program designed around you and your needs, but we also ensure to provide you with quality education for your long-term health.
The first step is always the hardest and I can’t take it for you but I promise we will do everything we can to help you.
NEXT ACTION: Start by calling 817-220-6677 today to schedule your FREE NO OBLIGATION Discovery Visit.
To Your Health,