For years we’ve heard about the importance of physical fitness for our muscles, joints and aches and pains but what about the impact it has on our mental health?
Physical activity can be beneficial in more ways than one- it may even make you a happier person!
I’m sure that can sound hokey and that you may at this moment be picturing yourself with a ridiculous smile while doing a hundred pushups but that’s not what I mean, bare with me.
You see, when we exercise, our bodies release a special set of hormones- not only do we get an adrenaline rush from our elevated heart rates, we also produce serotonin when working out!
Serotonin is essentially our happy hormone.
Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that plays a key role in mood, sleep and even digestion. When we exercise, our bodies are triggered to produce serotonin.
Practicing regular physical activity doesn’t have to involve vigorous exercise and gallons of sweat. It could be as simple as a walk around the block.
Exercise as a broad category may seem intimidating to some but truthfully, it is what you make it. It doesn’t have to be complicated or stressful and can actually decrease feelings of anxiety and depression.
We always encourage our patients to get active not only during their time in therapy but moving forward as preventative means of physical and mental decay.
Having to move one’s body can help with cognitive function which also helps to ensure a healthy and happy mental state.
We hope you found this week’s blog helpful and would like to remind you to never be afraid to ask questions! Here at MOSS we vow to always do our best to provide you with information you can trust, and answer any followup questions you may have.
Lastly, if you or anyone you know is suffering from aches and pains that are keeping you from living the life you love, reach out to us and let’s start working on a plan that will get you to where you want to be.
It starts with our simple 3 Step Process.
- Schedule a FREE Discovery Visit with one of our experts.
- Receive a Customized (Individualized) Treatment Plan
- Get Your Life Back and Do What You Love
It really is that simple!
The first step is the hardest and I can’t take it for you but I can make it as simple and easy as possible.
“A healthy man has thousands of wishes, a sick man has only one”. –Agnes Karll Schwest Krankenpfleger
You will work with one of our experts to design a customized plan specific to your needs and conditions.
I have talked about this for years. I call it The 3 D’s. You can learn more about it HERE. Follow The 3-D’s to handle your issue and you can’t go wrong.
- Don’t ignore the problem—A problem could be pain, weakness, frequent falls or trouble recovering from an injury or illness. It is a signal from the body that something is wrong. Hoping and wishing will not make it better. Try to ignore it and hope it goes away –almost never works and usually makes everything worse.
- Don’t mask it—getting injections, taking pills, wearing a brace or using a walker only masks the problem and doesn’t fix the underlying cause. I have several examples in my personal life where this did not work out. Trying to mask it and not truly addressing the underlying issue makes the problem cost more (time, money and stress) to fix in the long run.
- Do something about it-–If addressed properly most problems can heal conservatively, naturally without injections or surgical intervention. Doing something about it – addressing the issue head on, while it may be tough at first it will get a better result in the long run.
Pro tip: Get it looked at by the experts at MOSS Rehabilitation Center.
Follow The 3-D’s to handle your issue and you can’t go wrong.
Remember the KEY is to start so small that it is impossible to fail. –Kaizen
At MOSS Rehabilitation Center we make it easy for you to get started. We even have a simple 3 step process.
1. Schedule a FREE NO Obligation, Discovery Visit with one of our experts. During this visit, you will talk with one of our friendly experts about your issues. This is a safe and confidential visit, you can trust that your safety and privacy is important to us. We are taking extra measures to ensure that you remain safe during this pandemic.
2. Receive a Customized (Individualized) Treatment Plan. Based on your free discovery visit, we will put together a custom, unique to you plan that will address all of your nagging pains and issues. The goal is to get you back to your healthy self as soon as possible while also addressing your issues for the long term.
3. Get Your Life Back and Do What You Love. The best result for us is a patient who tells us they can finally do what they love without the constant pain, stress, or issue they were facing. Together we can get you back to living life without worry.
So what do the most successful people do when they have health concerns? They address their problem.
NEXT ACTION: If you are really serious about showing your body who’s in control, call our office at 817-220-6677 today to schedule your FREE NO OBLIGATION Discovery Visit.
To your health,
Dr. Robert Moss PT, ScD, OCS, FAAOMPT