Have you ever seen something and thought that you would be really, really good at it? And then you try it, and it’s not pretty? Me too, in fact, I bet that most people you know would say they’ve had a similar experience. One of those things for me, was a balance board.
For those of you that haven’t experienced one of these, a balance board is essentially a piece of wooden board with two guard pieces on either end of the underside. This is to keep it from sliding completely off the wooden cylinder that it is balanced on. I’ll link the one I have HERE.
If you’ve ever seen a circus act involving a balance board, you know how effortless it appears to be. One foot, two foot, side to side. Simple, right? That’s what I thought and it couldn’t have been farther from the truth.
It turns out that trying to balance your body weight on an unstable surface is harder than it looks. Not only do you have to focus on how you’re distributing body weight but on your posture and head orientation. If you’ve read our blogs specifically discussing posture, you know how important it is.
Honestly, it’s frustrating to not be as good at something right off the bat as you want to be. It’s disappointing too… if you let it be. When failure is in question, you have two options, you have reached a crossroads. You can give up, lock away the experience and pretend it never happened, or you can persevere, accept that this is just a phase and decide to take control.
Those who know me, understand that I’m not one to give up easily. With this in mind, I used my frustration as fuel to conquer this struggle.
I took baby steps, using the board on softer surfaces, holding on to a countertop for assistance, continued with my regular core strengthening regime, and eventually, was able to use the balance board hands-free.
The reason I got a balance board in the first place was because of all the benefits I read about.
Along with the obvious: improved balance and coordination, using a balance board also helps to improve motor skills, strengthen lower body muscles, and aid in injury prevention and recovery, especially for knees and ankles.
A Bosu Ball like the one linked HERE has similar benefits and can be a bit easier to use.
Maybe shredding on a balance board isn’t your ultimate goal but those of you who seek improved balance, greater posture and confidence may be surprised by how much of that balance can help with.
For all of us, failure is a part of improvement. I believe that YOU are strong enough to get past it and work towards what matters to you.
Here at MOSS, our team is here to help you through every step of the way.
If you’re looking for a fun challenge, be sure to look into a balance board or Bosu Ball, but if you’re more concerned about general balance and coordination, the experts here at MOSS can help you get started.
A great first step is to attend our upcoming Balance Workshop!
This is an in-person event taking place
10AM Saturday, June 11th
407 Old Springtown Rd
If you’re lucky, Dr. Moss may even demonstrate his balance board skills!
This event is great for anyone concerned about their balance or the balance and safety of a loved one. Come, learn and take the next step that’s right for YOU.
What else? ___________________________________________________________
We try our best to provide resources and information that help you to better understand your body. Many of our previous blogs do just that.
If balance inconsistency is the bain of your existence check out my post on what exactly balance is and what the lack of it could mean for you
And if you would like to read our most recent post about balance, posture and general body awareness, click HERE
Now, if you need something more, we can help with that too.
It starts with our simple 3 Step Process.
- Schedule a FREE Discovery Visit with one of our experts.
- Receive a Customized (Individualized) Treatment Plan
- Get Your Life Back and Do What You Love
It really is that simple!
The first step is the hardest and I can’t take it for you but I can make it as simple and easy as possible.
“A healthy man has thousands of wishes, a sick man has only one”. –Agnes Karll Schwest Krankenpfleger
You will work with one of our experts to design a customized plan specific to your needs and conditions.
I have talked about this for years. I call it The 3 D’s. You can learn more about it HERE. Follow The 3-D’s to handle your issue and you can’t go wrong.
- Don’t ignore the problem—A problem could be pain, weakness, frequent falls or trouble recovering from an injury or illness. It is a signal from the body that something is wrong. Hoping and wishing will not make it better. Try to ignore it and hope it goes away –almost never works and usually makes everything worse.
- Don’t mask it—getting injections, taking pills, wearing a brace or using a walker only masks the problem and doesn’t fix the underlying cause. I have several examples in my personal life where this did not work out. Trying to mask it and not truly addressing the underlying issue makes the problem cost more (time, money and stress) to fix in the long run.
- Do something about it-–If addressed properly most problems can heal conservatively, naturally without injections or surgical intervention. Doing something about it – addressing the issue head on, while it may be tough at first it will get a better result in the long run.
Pro tip: Get it looked at by the experts at MOSS Rehabilitation Center.
Follow The 3-D’s to handle your issue and you can’t go wrong.
Remember the KEY is to start so small that it is impossible to fail. -Kaizen
At MOSS Rehabilitation Center we make it easy for you to get started. We even have a simple 3 step process.
1. Schedule a FREE NO Obligation, Discovery Visit with one of our experts. During this visit, you will talk with one of our friendly experts about your issues. This is a safe and confidential visit, you can trust that your safety and privacy is important to us. We are taking extra measures to ensure that you remain safe during this pandemic.
2. Receive a Customized (Individualized) Treatment Plan. Based on your free discovery visit, we will put together a custom, unique to you plan that will address all of your nagging pains and issues. The goal is to get you back to your healthy self as soon as possible while also addressing your issues for the long term.
3. Get Your Life Back and Do What You Love. The best result for us is a patient who tells us they can finally do what they love without the constant pain, stress, or issue they were facing. Together we can get you back to living life without worry.
So what do the most successful people do when they have health concerns? They address their problem.
NEXT ACTION: If you are really serious about showing your body who’s in control, call our office at 817-220-6677 today to schedule your FREE NO OBLIGATION Discovery Visit.
To your health,
Dr. Robert Moss PT, ScD, OCS, FAAOMPT